Photo

Important Course on Critical Thinking for Anyone Who Ever Called Themselves a Scientologist

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alanzo

Alanzo

Swamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hubbard taught Scientologists from his very first book that the human mind, if freed from all "aberration" would work perfectly.

This assumption underlies the whole of the subjects of Dianetics and Scientology.

This assumption, beyond any shade of doubt, has been proven completely false.

The Teaching Company sells recorded lectures by university professors which have a popular appeal to a wide audience. Some of them are really excellent and can be life changing. This course has been for me.

http://www.thegreatc...l.aspx?cid=9344

It is taught By Professor Steven Novella, M.D., Georgetown University, Yale School of Medicine, and it is kicking my ass.

I've read many books on critical thinking, but always in the context of logic, logical fallacies, etc. This course begins by showing you how flawed human perceptions, memory and thinking are, using well established experiments which show their flaws. Then, from within that context, it starts to teach you critical thinking skills.

Anyone who has ever been a Scientologist would benefit from this course.

#2 Rhythm

Rhythm

Midshipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

I know that many scientologists in the United States affiliate themselves with the Republican Party. I wonder if this is evidence of their influence from the Texas Republican Party 2012 platform:

Page 13, under "Educating our Children":

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Source document link: http://s3.amazonaws....tform-Final.pdf

#3 Alanzo

Alanzo

Swamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

I know that many scientologists in the United States affiliate themselves with the Republican Party. I wonder if this is evidence of their influence from the Texas Republican Party 2012 platform:

Page 13, under "Educating our Children":

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Source document link: http://s3.amazonaws....tform-Final.pdf

The argument sounds like those I heard when I was a Scientologist - although they didn't use quite as many "psych" terms as were used in this platform statement.

Hard to believe I ever stood for that kind of attitude for even one minute. But I guess there was something in me that needed that kind of thinking. I am contact with someone who is "out" but has not really ever examined their thinking since leaving. I knew this person before Scientology, during and after. I can tell you that Scientology was not good for this person. Their thinking is completely unreflective and intolerant of differing beliefs. This was not the case before this person got into Scientology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users