LFBD Pittsburgh

Swamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

http://exscnforum.com/pubmedia/TheEdgeBWampold1.mp3

Boy Tom, makes me want to go back to college and study psychology. Not to be a practitioner, but just to become more familiar with it all.

As far as thinking "how would this apply" to Scientology, in hindsight, I have several thoughts.

Obviously the "lower grades" of Scientology are some type of psychotherapy, despite Hubbard's denials that "auditing" is NOT psychotherapy.

So, just listening to a college professor discuss what he discusses, minimally gives a Scientologist some ideas as to why "auditing" might be effective.

I've always intuitively thought that the "best auditors" got good results based on their personal nature as people, meaning that the people who were the "Auditors of the Year" type auditors, were just darned good "therapist" type people!

So, even that Scientology's psychotherapy is NOT peer reviewed, in hindsight, since I was in the Sea Org for 27 years, and spent my first 7 years at Flag, intermingling with the FSO staff, coming in contact with the best auditors in the world (I'd say that plenty of field auditors worldwide were just as smooth as the best Flag auditors though) that some of the Class 12s, one or two who I did morning TR drills with, back when daily TR drilling was still required, I found that their ability to "bond" and talk with the patient, was exceptional.

So, as you put this great interview with a research psychotherapist on the Ex Scientology blog here, I take it you wanted us ex Scientologists to consider what this man says, and reflect how it might have something to do with Scientology, and that's the first couple thoughts I had how it relates.

Next, I thought, well, if Scientology's a religion, well it doesn't really have to do "peer review". If just by chance it does provide patient benefit to Scientologists, the patient Scientologists really don't need any peer review, they're happy as is.

I guess though, this man's attitude contrasts though, with the hype language in Scientology. LRH claims his auditing therapy will be successful 100% of the time, when I think in some client/parishioner's cases, they will NOT agree with LRH.

I think the field of psychotherapy has a more tolerant view of their patients who feel NOT assisted by psychotherapy. Scientology treats disgruntled Scientologists even way more extremely than my impression of how psychotherapists would of their disgruntled patients.

In contrast, that a professor even studies the effectiveness of the various psychotherapies, that relationship between university research and the field of psychotherapist practitioners, I see today as way more healthy compared to the arrogance built into the Church of Scientology about its "spiritual therapy/exorcism" psychotherapy practices.

What I tell people who are disgruntled with psychotherapy or psychiatry, is "get another psychotherapist/psychiatrist". Meaning, "switch auditors", just like C/S Series 1, Auditor's Rights, where it says that is the preclear's right to ask for a different auditor.

Interesting that your guest says that the optimism of the therapist effects success rate, to a degree.

I find psychotherapist discussion so much freer, since discussing Scientology therapy/auditing, Hubbard set so many rules about even talking about it, like it's an ethics offense to engage in verbal data, etc.

The more I contrast Scientology/Hubbard theory and rules with the outside world, the more I see the outside world displays tolerance and more careful thinking processes to this area of therapy.

Anyways, thanks Tom.

This is a great interview, and had I the time, maybe when I retire, I'll go back to college just for the joy of learning more.

- Chuck Beatty
ex Sea Org, 1975-2003
Pittsburgh, 412-260-11770
chuckbeatty77@aol.com

#3 Rhythm

Rhythm

Midshipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Actually, Hubbard admitted that scientology processes were a psychotherapy in one of his OODs:
http://exscnforum.co...-psychotherapy/
I suppose that scientology grades can help some people resolve some personal issues, however note that Hubbard presumed that he knew what was wrong with people, thus developed "the bridge" which is a set series of processes addressing the same possible issues. The big problem with scientology is that it does not address what the client wants to handle, but rather Hubbard's agenda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users