#1 Rhythm

Rhythm

Midshipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:32 AM

Hubbard evidently plagiarized Vipassana meditation into what he called OT TR0, the first TR. Vipassana meditation has a history of efficacy research in India that shows it offers behavioral and personal improvement to those who engage in it.
TRs 0 through 4 focus entirely on passive communication patterns involving staring, statements, questions, and acknowledgments. I stated passive and patterns rather than active and skills as the student does not improvise questions, statements, or acknowledgments. The communication and TRs course materials proscribe those.
The "Upper Indoctrination" TRs 6 though 9 focus on control of another person's body and giving and complying with orders. The student does not receive any drilling on refusing orders, nor, most importantly, on negotiating with someone who orders you.
Therefore, scientologists receive indoctrination into the only acceptable forms of communication in organized scientology: Stating, asking, acknowledging, giving orders and complying with orders. In scientology, refusal to comply with an order constitutes "counter intention" and negotiating an order constitutes "other intention". Hubbard considered both of those as "out ethics".
I have never found a scientologist with a professional level of negotiation skill and I don't wonder why.

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Raw Meat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hmm ...

TRs are not meditation and definitely not staring and if that's what you were doing when you did TRs, sorry to say, but it wasn't done properly.

I would think that of one has a good command & understanding of the communication formula (TR's 0-4), one could attempt negotiating. Negotiating is a skill not included in many speaking courses. The Communication Course was simply that ... taking apart a comm cycle & how it works, training routines so a person could comfortably be there and apply those parts.

You can read in & add all sorts of things if you like, that's up to you, but it ain't TRs

#3 Rhythm

Rhythm

Midshipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:58 AM

Hmm ...

TRs are not meditation and definitely not staring and if that's what you were doing when you did TRs, sorry to say, but it wasn't done properly.

I did not state training routines were meditation, but rather OT TR 0 was based on Vipassanna meditation.
OT TR 0 is not staring, but TR 0 fits the definition: look fixedly with eyes open. I don't agree that staring at another person has anything to do with "confronting" that person. I could be in front of another person comfortably before TRs. I did the drills as stated and was passed on those in a scientology courseroom and at the Flag Land Base. They were waste of time staring drills which did not help me at all.

I would think that of one has a good command & understanding of the communication formula (TR's 0-4), one could attempt negotiating. Negotiating is a skill not included in many speaking courses. The Communication Course was simply that ... taking apart a comm cycle & how it works, training routines so a person could comfortably be there and apply those parts.

That is what the Communication Course was for you. For me, it was Hubbard's very misguided ideas about control of people and what he thought was communication. I don't think Hubbard ever knew what communication is and gave many people who went through scientology lots of nonsense ideas about the subject.

You can read in & add all sorts of things if you like, that's up to you, but it ain't TRs

Except it IS training routines that misrepresent what constitutes communication and can put someone who buys into them in a robotic frame of mind on dealing with other people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users